Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mr. Mallory's Theory of Everything


Physicists have their string theory, their M theory, and are always looking for a theory of everything. This is my own personal theory of all Art.

My college professors made sure that I understood about Discipline Based Art Education (DBAE)
The four Art disciplines (things we study about Art) are:
1. Art History
2. Aesthetics (Design)
3. Art Production and...
4. Art Criticism

In terms of Aesthetics, you use the principles of design to arrange the elements of design.

I tell my students that good design should:
-Capture your attention
-Hold your attention and...
-Direct your attention



I may have over simplified things here, but I teach my students that there are basically four kinds of art:
1. Utilitarian (commercial/communication/implements)
2. Realistic/Descriptive (what most people assume constitutes skilled artists)
3. Compositional (manipulating the elements and principles of design)
4. Expressive (Art with meaning/impact or cathartic/therapeutic value)

I tell them that expressive art should always be able to:
-Invoke cultural symbols and common psychological states of mind
-Evoke powerful memories and experiences and
-Provoke thinking, emotional and intellectual reactions, or at least meaningful discussion

No comments: