Friday, June 18, 2010

FOR TEACHERS: Valuable tools

I recently completed the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention ® Training Program offered through Green Hills AEA (13) and the Crisis Prevention Institute, Inc. (CPI).

The second day was heavy on safe and nonthreatening means of restraining individuals who pose a danger to themselves and others because they are acting out physically. Hopefully things I'll never need.

But the first day is something I really recommend to all teachers and anyone currently working on a teaching degree in college. I feel like it's stuff that should be taught to teacher candidates in college before they get out to the field. CPI's Crisis Development Model is an amazingly simple and clear way to understand the stages students may go through when they act out and the best ways to respond to them.

They also taught us how to both recognize nonverbal and paraverbal behavior in students and how to use them to defuse or deescalate high energy and highly emotional situations. The verbal intervention techniques aren't just things to prevent having the CPI personal safety techniques become necessary- but I believe that they may be some of the most useful behavior management techniques around.

It's important for teachers to be at least aware of the possible precipitating factors that lead to kids becoming anxious, defensive or acting out. That may even help teachers be sympathetic or even empathetic. Compassion and rapport are about the most important tools any teachers have. Be that as it may, it's also important for teachers, coaches and other school professionals to be able to maintain some rational detachment so that we can control our responses and maintain professional attitudes when we are faced with difficult students.

Like it or not, the behaviors and attitudes of staff impact the behaviors and attitudes of  the students in their care and visa versa. I really could've used this kind of training before my first year of teaching.

I registered for a different summer class than this one, but it was canceled. Then I registered for another class which was also cancelled- in other words, this was my third choice, but I couldn't be more glad. I hope I'm smart enough to incorporate and apply what I've learned.

No comments: