Thursday, July 26, 2012

So you want to be "friends," do you?


I've had several friend requests from members of the class of 2017 this summer which I haven't accepted yet.

It is usually not advised that teachers "friend" their students on facebook for a ton of reasons. I have found that it is useful as a yearbook advisor and cheer coach.

I will accept your requests provisionally, so long as you understand the following:

ABOUT YOU: I reserve the right to block you from my news stream or even unfriend you if you post inappropriate material. I don't need to read profanity or see pictures of you flipping off the camera. I will try to avoid intervening in your drama and will usually refrain from commenting on your posts, but you sent me the friend request so I don't see why I can't tell you you're being a punk if/when you are.

ABOUT ME: By sending me a friendship request, you need to realize the following...
1) I WILL be "spamming" you about buying a yearbook.
2) I will probably put you into a "group" for each of my classes you are in. I often post news items or resource links related to Civics or Art. I encourage you to comment on them and engage in online discussions about things we cover in class, although since facebook is blocked at school, I won't make any of that required for a grade.
3) Be aware that I am a compulsive web poster. I've been building websites since 94, blogging since '04, and addicted to stupid twitter now too. So your news feed will probably become clogged with my posts.
4) Since some of my blogs feed into facebook & I have hootsuite on my iPod Touch, it will often look like I use facebook at school when I don't. If/when I do, it will be for Yearbook or Cheer and will be after 4pm
5) My faith is important to my and our country is important to me, so many of my posts are either religious or political in nature. You or your parents may not share my views or may disagree with them. I'm not trying to shove my opinions down your throat, I'm just expressing them. I don't want to offend anyone or pick fights with anyone. But I do believe in trying to get people to think and starting discussions. I believe that this is healthy and important in a function in democracy.

If you or your parents have any problems with 1-5, please feel free block me from your news stream but remain friended to me, or unfriend me, I won't mind and probably won't even know.

No comments: