Monday, November 1, 2010

Yearbook; Layout and Design

This week, I'd like to have you read pages 104-121 in your textbook. This is the most important stuff you'll learn this year in terms of actually creating pages in the yearbook- which you WILL FINALLY START DOING NEXT WEEK!!! (I know you're excited). I love this stuff, I've been doing this stuff since I was a sophomore in high school myself, so please, please try to listen and don't blow it off.

There are TONS that I can teach you- but I appreciate how you don't enjoy lectures and notes, so I will try to 1) make you responsible for most of the information yourself and 2) go through it at break-neck speed. All the more reason for you to pay attention.

Here's what we'll try to cover this week:

  • TUES 11/2- pp.104-109  Design 1
  • WED 11/3- pp. 110-115  Design 2, (possible mini-quiz over D1)
  • THUR 11/3- pp. 116-121  Design 3, (possible mini-quiz over D2)
  • FRI 11/4- QUIZ over all 3 Design sections

Most years I have students reverse-engineer a magazine layout, then draw their own, then use it to create a mock-up before setting them loose on yearbookavenue. If I were really going to equip you to be great designers, I'd also have you demonstrate your ability to create layouts in Word and InDesign as well as online- but, I may put that off until later in the quarter because I'm sure you'd rather get at the real deal.

No comments: