Sunday, June 14, 2009

Reasons you CAN draw

"Attitude is always more important than aptitude. With the right attitude you will be committed to your task and success will be assured." ~Robert Dvorak


Take all the reasons you THINK you cannot draw the way you would like to, and rewrite them in your sketchbook as statements that serve your purpose- learning to draw, or to draw with greater skill, spontaneity, etc. It is not necessary that you actually believe what you write. Just do the exercise and be aware of how it feels.

Here are some examples of reasons listed, then listed as POSITIVE statements.
  • NEG- I don't have any talent.
  • POS+ I can learn to draw whether I think I have talent or not.
  • NEG- When it comes to drawing, I'm just no good.
  • POS+ When it comes to drawing, I can become good.
  • NEG- My brother/sister is the one who's good at it in our family.
  • POS- My brother/sister was always good at it. Now I can be an artist in the family too.
  • NEG- It never comes out the way I want it to.
  • POS+ I can alwyay accept the way it comes out, because that was my experience at that time.
Now, make your own list. Remember take all the reasons you think can't draw the way you would like to, but write them in your sketchbook as positive statements that serve your purpose.

No comments: